Bowen Innovation Research and Development Society
Welcome to the Bowen Innovation Research and Development Society (BIRDS), standing at the intersection if independence and technology.
BIRDS is a BC-based social enterprise non-profit organization with the goal of supporting the Camp Bowen Society for the Independence of the Blind and Deafblind and the Pacific Training Centre for the Blind in their missions to provide summer independence camps and blindness/Deafblindness skills training.. To do this, it uses proceeds from its various initiatives, including its book publishing imprint, Camp Bowen Books, and its audio description imprint, DX.
## Statements of Principle
BIRDS promotes the following statements of principle:
- We are not an organization speaking on behalf of blind and Deafblind people; rather we are an organization of blind and Deafblind people speaking for ourselves;
- We believe that with training and opportunity blindness and Deafblindness can be reduced to the level of a nuisance;
- We believe that blindness and Deafblindness are not handicaps, but characteristics;
- We believe it is respectable to be blind or Deafblind;
- We believe that blind and Deafblind people can compete on terms of equality with their sighted and hearing peers;
- We believe the real problem of blindness and Deafblindness is not the lack of eyesight and/or hearing. The real problem is the lack of positive information about blindness and Deafblindness and the achievements of blind and Deafblind people.
## Contact Us
Use the below information to get in touch.
|Primary phone number||+16049479021|
|Added on||April 15, 2020|
|Last updated on||September 15, 2020|